Thursday, November 20, 2008

Update #18

GOOD NEWS LAREE IS OFF THE TRACH!

The following is an email that has been modified it was written by LaRee's sister in law regarding her most recent condition:


We send our greetings and love to you all. It has been awhile since we sent out an update—it seemed like there was little to report and Laree was kind of at a plateau as far as her recovery is concerned…but today is an important day!

In the moments Laree does have her eyes open she does cry and looks like she is unhappy but there have been a few smiles too. We seem to get a different report each time we visit as to Laree’s progress and although she has had what seems like the beginnings of pneumonia (they were testing for it) and is being treated for some infections as a result of being in the hospital – her NIFF scores continued to go up meaning her ability to breathe. The goal has always been to get the Tracheotomy tubes removed by Thanksgiving and at times this has seemed like an impossible goal to attain what with several setbacks in the weaning process. Weaning someone off a respirator is hard work and is exhausting to the patient we have been told as well the weaning process is painful but once the weaning process is accomplished we will have the ability to communicate with Laree once again because once the trach is removed Laree will be able to speak. I will keep this news short and simply tell you, Laree is off the trach!!!

Now that Laree can breathe on her own we can now move past the “life-support” stage and hopefully Laree can start to eat again at some point. (we have been told that she will have to get used to swallowing again and will have to eat simple foods that are ground up – but anything is better than where she has been with the feeding tube in her tummy and now we will move into the rehab stage. Laree still can’t move her arms and legs but we know that is coming and we rejoice with you this day and thank you for all your faith and prayers.

(LaRee is still on large doses of Pain medication and struggles to stay focused for very long so our conversations with her are short and sometimes confusing (due to the medication) but it is still wonderful to hear her voice!)

9 comments:

Tasha said...

This is wonderful news!! We love you so much LaRee!

Heidi E said...

We are so happy for the news! We pray for you often and we will keep praying!

Unknown said...

When and would it be appropriate to visit? We are all happy she is recovering and send her our love and prayers. If you can Dave Turner says he will bring the Oreos. 3
Love and wishes
The Turner family

Anonymous said...

My name is Andrea Miller. LaRee is my dental hygenist, and has been for these past 8 years. I just told my husband recently I hadnt received my card in the mail from LaRee that it was time for my cleaning. Then today, Nov. 25th I heard the news, via the greatly needed assistant fund. I had no idea. My heart felt so heavy as I fell to my knees sobbing. I so much think the world of her. Our talks about my grandchildren, her new home pat and her are building and how beautiful and big cloe is getting. Please tell her I love her and will ask our heavenly father to heal her. I will even start a prayer chain. I have to go in to get my teeth cleaned on the 4th and I really dont want to. But I know LaRee wouldnt want that either. May God hold each and all family members in his hand. God will heal her there is no doubt. Sincerely a friend Andrea Miller

Anonymous said...

I also am a patient of LaRee and just received word. Thank you for the mailing and thank you for this blog.

LaRee, Your smile and joy has always been a blessing. I look forward to seeing it again. I also believe you may be working harder now than you ever have before. Fight the good fight. You are loved by so many of us and have made a difference in our lives. (Ok, I could have done without you getting me hooked on the Twilight series:) When you're back -and you will be!! we'll talk about the Outlander series! Miss you - Zow and I are praying for.
Carla Miller

Anonymous said...

I am a patient of LaRee's. I had a mild case of Guillian Barre several years ago. In my struggle I can not even imagine how she is deaing with a severe case. Please give her a hug from me, and let her know our family is praying. There is life after this!

Anonymous said...

LaRee, Jean and I are both thinking of you. Just found out via the mail that you are fighting this disease ! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family. Fight it hard, win against the GBS and hurry back to be an active player in this game of life.

We'll be following this blog intensely to read of your recovery. Make it a speedy one girl, you've got a house to finish up, a daughter to raise, and teeth to clean !

We love ya.....

Scott & Jean the car crazy travelers of the U.S.

Shelley said...

Happy Thanksgiving Laree!! We love you!

Love,

Shelley

Anonymous said...

I do not know LaRee but I had a similar experience with GBS in 2005. Like LaRee, I was completely paralyzed, unable to talk or eat, and on a ventilator for 10 weeks. I was in the hospital for four months and using a wheelchair and walker when I left. I was 35 when I was diagnosed and I am female. Within 12-18 months of diagnosis, I was able to return to nearly all activities. Today I only have mild residual nerve damage in my feet. I hope that my story would give LaRee hope that she will get her life back. If anyone in her family would like to contact me, I'd be happy to discuss my experience (michellekrollyoung@yahoo.com). I will keep LaRee in my thoughts and prayers.